Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Morning Dad

Good Morning,

I had a very adult weekend. I received my first speeding ticket, I traveled to Indianapolis to meet new friends, and I realized my parents have probably "done it" more than twice (brother, me).

Friday night I stayed at my dad’s as a midway point between Columbus and Indy.

Friday night is date night for Dad and Judy (his girlfriend)…

She drives up from her home in Centerville, parks her car in the garage and off they go…dinner, dancing or a concert someone read about in the GO section. (the GO section, the local newspaper entertainment section).

This weekend I stood and watched Dad flit around the kitchen in tippy-tap shoes (tip tap, tip tap, tip, tap) tidying and straightening in a mad rush. He was late in getting home from work and in only 10min. Judy would arrive!

Ding dong! She arrived 5min early!

So I dumped my load of dirty laundry on the floor and said “I’ll get it!”

Dad quickstepped his way to the bathroom.

Judy received a smiley welcome as I stumbled a little and banged into the glass door.

She was just looking so cute in her white and pink stripped sweater top and complimenting fitted white jacket, I had to hug her in my grubby possibly smelly Auburn sweatshirt.

…then I sent the kids off on their date.

In preparation for the early morning drive to Indy, I called it an early night.

I left a note out for Dad, "I don’t have an alarm could you please wake me up at 6am?...

Thank you.

Love,

Amanda

I drifted off to sleep with a comfort and peace I hadn’t felt in awhile.

I woke up around midnight. As I made my way in the dark toward the restroom, I heard the clinking of glasses and laughter amidst playful conversation in the dimmer switched living room…

How nice I thought they’re keeping it down for me. Muddle brained I returned to bed and fell into the deep dark disoriented sleep you can only get when sleeping in your childhood bedroom.

(my room has been left mostly untouched since high school except it now houses all dad’s books, i like the clean feel to it. i dislike the feel I get when I see highlighter stains on the comforter/bedspread).

I awoke at 6am with someone gently poking me through a mess of covers in the lower back. i guess Dad has since my last visit forgotten how to wake his daughter. He forgot that using words is a common waking method. There was just someone roughly outlined in the dark poking me in the lower back.

"okay, thank you. i'm up."

In about an hour, i was ready to leave.

"Morning Dad" stood and watched as i readied my bag for my day-trip. he asked dad questions,

"what are you doing again?"

Try explaining at 7am, a podcast and the community of friends built through the Internet to a man with a dial-up connection and Wal-Mart e-mail account.

"I'm going to meet some very good and interesting people i met through the Internet."

He looked confused and might have said something but all i could hear, think or see was how much i love "Morning Dad."

Dad wears tippy-tap shoes, crease-lined tan slacks, and collared shirts tucked and pressed...

Morning Dad has...hair stuck to his head, a sprout or two doin the rooster at the cowlick, long, baggy pj bottoms, and the UA (under armor) T.O. shirt...

i looked down as i readied my pack and grabbed my cane. "Hey dad, look Judy forgot her shoes."

"She’s still here…"

on my behalf 1. she did not arrive at the door with her little knapsack 2. it was very early, 3. everybody goes a foul of the law sometime. i bet she drives barefoot!

Our eyes met.

We both looked at each other each embarking on our new adventures.

There was a searching look, smiles, and a nod of recognition.

Another moment passed and we understood each other perfectly.

okay yeah, we don't want to know...


Happy Monday,

Amanda
bad citizen, clocked at 67mph in the 55

No comments: