Monday, October 13, 2008

Update on my Team Reeve marathon

Good Morning,

This time next week I will be slathered in Icy Hot! Next Saturday, the 18th, I will be running my Team Reeve Marathon. I will be running for four hours* (hopefully straight) on an elliptical machine in support of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation.

I've got my iPod loaded, my magazines, and my six screens of football watching to do...

While I'm running,there will also be many other things I will be thinking about. Here are a few that I've chosen to focus on:

The CDRF (Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation) estimates that 400,000 people are living with SCI. The major authority on SCI research estimates 250,000...hopefully, some of the money raised will help develop more reliable statistics.

(*regardless, this is at least 3 "Horseshoes" or "Big House" stadiums full of people)

"87.9% of all SCI patients are discharged from hospitals to private homes...5.6% are discharged to nursing homes." I will be thinking about those 5.6%.

The Estimated Life Costs of someone with my level of injury (but complete) is $1,729,754. The average yearly expenses is $56,905.

This is like having the stock market plummet and then neeeeeever recovering. No matter what Wall Street does.

77.8% of new SCI patients are male. I will especially be thinking of my newly injured sisters.

Thank you to everyone who has donated so far. It humbles me to see your generosity. If you haven't had the chance and would still like to make a donation, you can do so at: (see link at the top right of this page)

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=59078&supid=222859771


Happy Monday,

Amanda


*why 4 hrs.? I checked out the Average Finish Time for all participants in last year's Columbus Marathon-4:19:24. I have never liked to think of myself as "average" (rrrrg) so I rounded down to 4:00:00.

No comments: