Monday, May 31, 2010

a song for the men of the 151st division...and those who love them

Good Morning,

I've been sitting here this morning trying to best capture and express my deep appreciation for those who have fought in wars or died in the service to my country.

I'm a little too far away to put a flag on the grave of my Grandfather...(I know he worked on planes in Africa and was bitten by a monkey...).



I'm a little too apprehensive to call my other proud Grandfather in the assisted living center and yell into the phone THANK YOU GRANDPA I REALLY APPRECIATE WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!!



I don't think anyone would reeaally appreciate my singing You're a Grand Old Flag! (the only patriotic song I know all the words to...)

marching in a parade and playing "On Wisconsin!" on my trumpet is also out...

I'm aware that Memorial Day should really include everyone who's died in a war. You can't just celebrate the U.S. service men and women without thinking of the human cost on both sides...

when 70,000 people die instantaneously (Hiroshima) it feels wrong to me to chow down on a hot dogs and sizzle up the BBQ!

still...I want to remember and celebrate this day...

so...

My celebration today is to offer you this. A family favorite clip from the movie White Christmas both of my Grandfathers would enjoy. I say let's remember the General Waverly's we know and try to honor and respect the values they have taught us... duty, loyalty, personal courage, selfless sacrifice...



(now i'm gonna go see if i can mold and style my hair like Betty's!)


with thanks on a mindful memorial Monday,

Amanda

*1st chair trumpet emeritus Central Middle School Band

No comments: