Tuesday, March 1, 2011

a brother's love is...


Good Morning,

Here's a very quick story from my youth. As I bent down to set up the BB-gun target, a row of Coke cans, I heard the unmistakeable click, click blat...of the "pump" gun. To this day, it is unclear whether the true bulls-eye was my butt or the bottom of my shoe but as I knelt to do my apprentice duty...I suspected the hee hee hee of my brother's voice was not meant to leave my sweat-panted hiny unscathed.

Perhaps this is why I was so moved this weekend as I looked out my apartment window to see Eric (my brother) bent over clearing a path for me with such meticulous care. It iced-over hard here this weekend. My brother was in town for a business meeting and up early the next morning to make his flight.

I'd gotten up early too to see him off. After hugs and safe travel wishes, no sooner had I turned to tend to Mitty "the treat jonesing" kitty than I heard a little knock on my door. It was Eric! He said, "Hey I just wanted to let you know, it's a sheet of ice out there. Be careful. I just fell."

Surprised, I checked to make sure he was okay then turned on the TV. The winter weather news crew flashed onto the scene and reveled in their morning horror stories.

"It's ICEY out there Bob! I live 30min. from the station and had a 1 1/2 hr. commute this morning!"

only to be out done by the next...

"Yes Carol, as you can see traffic here at I-69 and 435 is crawling. If you don't need to be out this morning stay in, and if you do be sure to leave yourself plenty of extra time!"

Although I would have loved it if he could have stayed, I also did not want my brother to have to extend his travel. Thus, I quickly urged him to be careful (TURN AROUND AND COME BACK if needed...) and advised that he head slowly to the airport right away!

Eric stood there looking concerned. My interpretation?...contemplating how to leave yet still do his duty to care and protect his little sister from hazardous foot steps.

I know! I thought. I have the quick solution to our problem! By my door I have a bag of rock salt. That is, a bag of salt maintenance crews use for spreading on icey sidewalks and walkways.

I handed my brother the bag and a plastic cup and asked that he throw some down...implying quickly as I parroted out the news crew's growing alarm, "You need extra time if headed to the airport!"

(...we had planned for a morning with a leisurely departure time not one of triple drive time and jack knifed semis!!!)

Doo do doo...

I looked out the window proudly at my brother in his smart looking pea coat and nifty running shoes.

Yes, i thought, that's my brother! Look at him putting down that salt for me!

I looked out the window still proud...

See how careful he's being!

I looked out and at the clock concerned...

Now what can be taking so long? Just exactly what is he doing?

This was not the simple maintenance man scatter. There was some sort of systematic planning going on out there. There was bending and stooping almost like a golfer setting up his put. He surveyed and turned and sprinkled...

Desperate to help or understand, I stepped out onto the door mat in my PJs. "Brother!? Brother? Are you done?"

I went back inside. Checking the freezer for more overnight provisions, there is no way I thought this boy's making it to the airport. Luckily, I had food...

Finally, I heard some foot stomping at the door. I can't help but tear up a little when I think of the words that came next. "Well Sister, I made you a path!" My sibling companion who used to shoot BBs at my behind had...cared enough to make me a path! It was the best path every made! It went directly from my door, down the sidewalk, around my neighbor's car and straight to my driver's side car door!

This person who used to bitterly complain about arrival times (a Senior providing car pool service cannot arrive at the early bird Freshman's time!) had seen through to my needs and let the demands of schedules sit to make a way for me to be.

This person who made me use the broom while he got to use the hockey stick...

okay...He indeed made it to the airport in time and is now home. I believe in you and love you Brother.

Happy Tuesday,

Amanda