Tuesday, May 24, 2011

cognitive dissonance from the study bunker...




Good Morning,

I've been holed up in the study bunker waiting for the storms to end but I thought I'd emerge long enough to share something with you...

The word of the day is "cognitive dissonance." (okay that's two words). Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.

Cognitive dissonance has been running amok lately...

"Arnold Scwharzenegger fathers an illegitimate child!...Lance Armstrong accused of doping!...The end of the world Saturday May 21st...oops just let me revise the math"

but the place I am finding it most interesting is in the aftermath of a news story that's staying pretty close to the Mike and Mike (ESPN radio) bobble headed sports desk. Last week, Phoenix Suns President Rick Welts came out as gay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/sports/basketball/nba-executive-says-he-is-gay.html

Reaction of course has included such luminaries as Charles Barkley, hockey analyst (and mullet hairdo supporter) Barry Melrose, and Herm Edwards, a man who has given us such deep quotes as "We play to win the game!"

Some media types are predicting the end of the world. The question that remains:

Rick Welts is a NBA executive. What will happen when a teammate comes out to one of his brothers in the locker room?

I was able to go inside the heads of NBA basketball players with my personal-people-reader meter this weekend and this is what I found...

Cognitive Dissonance!!!!

Taken from an unnamed source here are the conflicting thoughts I was able to record...

Don't look at me fagot...

I don’t want it in my locker room.

Shoot, Darnell’s a real cool dude!


I'm not predicting the end of the world but rather a struggle perhaps and wrestling with uncomfortable feelings. My thought is that the NBA player who comes out to his teammates will experience acceptance to the degree his teammates resolve their conflict at Darnell's a cool dude. Here is what you will see...

After the gay player comes out, I predict many many many...many baaaaad interviews within and around the NBA community.

There are 3 ways we generally try to get rid of cognitive dissonance once it is present. I've stated each one and offer what it will sound like on SportsCenter...

1. Decrease the importance of dissonant beliefs.

ESPN Analyst: "So, Charles now that Darnell Dudes is out how do you feel about it?"

Charles: “It don’t matter, all I want is a teammate that knows how to win.”

2. Add more consonant beliefs that outweigh the dissonant beliefs.

Players against the openly gay teammate will turn to the Bible and other players, family, or media types also speaking out against the gay teammate. They will restate their concerns. “Guys aren’t comfortable with it.” “It's just my personal belief that it’s wrong.” (From these guys you should also then hear a lot less about "being there for my teammates").

3. Change the dissonant beliefs so they are no longer inconsistent.

Don't look at me fagot...

I don’t want it in my locker room.

I put us winning before my own stats

Darnell's a real good player.

Hey, Darnell's gay, a good player, and a cool dude. It’s okay to be there for my teammates...


ESPN radio announcer: "How has this affected you in the locker room?"

Darnell Dudes' teammate: "Yes, I’d like to have a gay teammate. All things being equal I PREFER having gay teammates!!!"

okay, maybe it won't ever go that far but it's okay to dream it : ).

Back to the study bunker!,

Happy Tuesday,

Amanda

p.s. my personal-people-reader meter is something handed out to ALL undergrad psych majors. it also comes with a Junior Psychology Badge!!! : ) Noooo, not really! ; )

No comments: