Sunday, August 12, 2007

Hip Hop Dance Class










"Are there still spaces open in your group hip hop class?"

I did not want to explain my elaborate strategy—I will stand in the back and use my keen powers of observation to mentally note the moves…then do what I assume is the equivalent of picking your nose in an empty elevator...practice my "Solid Gold" moves in the privacy of my own dance studio (the restroom).

Nervously, I held the phone tighter and rehearsed my next query...

"You’re open to people of all abilities right?"

"Oh yes," she sounded surprised, but confident...if not mildly amused.

In a friendly voice, she assured me she teaches ballroom, had taken the hip hop class and it was great fun…I would see.

Well, okay, but you’ve never seen this, I thought. I’m tired of explaining and trying to make everything okay for these people. The sort of folks willing to overlook science in favor of enthusiasm. People for whom a spinal cord injury is a hitch in the gait not a hindrance to executing physical talents and abilities.

"Wear comfortable clothes and arrive a little before 10:00am!" she then bubbled a good bye... (arrrg)

So...I arrived a little before 10am in my mumu and slippers...no no really,

I went to my first ever "hip hop" dance class this Saturday…I danced on my feet, near a structural column for support in case I lost my balance.

In my attempt to perhaps encourage you to let go and try new things (…something we allll need help with), I have posted my new moves at:

http://web.mac.com/amv12/iWeb/Site/ahiphopmove.html


http://homepage.mac.com/amv12/iMovieTheater8.html (for Windows users)

hope it's fun.

happy monday,

amanda

1 comment:

qwe said...

Amanda!!
You kick ass!!! Your hip hop moves look great, love the improvisation in the routine, and LOVE THE 'TUDE!! (attitude!) Keep it up! We're looking forward to seeing the whole thing come together with the audio! How's your teacher? Still bubblin'?
Your Friends,
Siena & Toast