Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hip Hop Dance Class cont...















There is a Zen saying “Not One, Not Two.”

The Zen Master is talking about the relationship that exists when you look inward and think about your fellow man. You and the guy thumping the cardboard sign as you pull up to the stoplight are “Not One” but if even for a moment you lock eyes you realize you’re also “Not Two.” Your thinking might go, there’s something in me that is you and his…if my mama hadn’t beaten me with her broken stripper pole (empty vodka bottle) when I was two, I might be you.

My point, there is a connection that you cannot explain that makes up part of this human existence…

And further, hence, and hereforth…I do not yet fully understand the deeper intricacies of this saying. If I want to go further in my Buddhist practice, the sage suggestion is to go on retreat. My Budilicious body says that’s a bunch a who-ha. Same lessons can be learned through diligent hip hop dancing.

After simply seconds of meditation here’s what I’ve been able to journal and discover about life after reflecting on my experiences in dance class #1 and dance class #2. (sorry folks, the writing's a little rough this week but still...)

Hope it’s fun. Happy Monday.

Amanda

Hip Hop Lesson cont.


Laurie the hip hop dance instructor was well muscled and athletic,

I imagined her as what would have happened if one of the Williams sisters had taken up dance class. She’d been dancing since she could breathe and God had stamped her every step with power, poise and kick ass confidence.

With bright eyes and a smile she teased us “Am I in the right place? They told me I was teaching the advanced hip hop class...” then broke out a spontaneous set of moves that sent one woman running for the door shrieking…no really, our responses assured her we’re all beginners here.

The music started. “Okay, I’m gonna count or go uh-uh, pa pa, just follow me…”

Twelve pairs of eyes stared back and twelve sets of knees nervously bounced and buckled.

“Come on give it to me. I need your energy!” Laurie motioned back and forth the connection between us. She had me! My heart leapt, my mind soared through the blue among the clouds, as the burden of my body fell away. I watched her for a moment…my old friend returned “Athletic Me!”

I watched her embody my energy then felt what’s left of my frozen inside get sucked down through the soles of my shoes…leaving me empty.

“Can I get a little more uh, uh…that girl already gonna bust us out. shakin that booty.” I stood and watched the rest of the class come to life…I yearned for a life where I could shake it with the word PINK written on my butt and feel happy.

I did my best to smile and not suck the energy out of the room with my endless doubt and self-obsessing.

Instead I sought a mindful present and inner clarity...pushed myself gently forward minding my discoveries... (blah, blah, blah...LET'S BOOGIE!)

Oh good lordy, here's the moves from Lesson #2. (No worries, if you laugh. I’m laughing too : ).

http://web.mac.com/amv12/iWeb/Site/lesson%202%20with%20mitty-mix-a-lot.html

http://homepage.mac.com/amv12/iMovieTheater9.html (for Windows users)

(for dial-up connection users) ...Dad, no stress. I will bring the laptop home and show you : )

No comments: