Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My buddha teacher Gil says...

Good Morning,

My Buddha teacher Gil says it's important to know when to speak, when not to speak.

He says in order to practice "Right Speech" before saying anything you should try very hard to practice these 3 general rules:

Ask yourself...

1. is it true?
2. is it skillful (necessary)?
3. is it kind?

sometimes it's very clear to me the Buddha did not live during modern times...

i'd like to share an example from my daily teachings.
: )

**refresher on my job

I work for a small company where we help people with disabilities find jobs. Most referrals come from a state agency, most clients/consumers arrive with referral form in hand that reads:

“Chuck E Cheese took an ice cream without paying. Got fired.”

So...

Hannah had all the young and innocence of an 18yr. old who’d never worked before. A big girl with a soft airy voice and a big round moon face.

My co-worker/boss launched the following question in her typical friendly and upbeat manner.

"So Hannah, I’m going to ask you some questions about job skills. What type of work do you like to do?"

Hannah replied, "Well, I like digging. You know (pause) like digging?"

We looked to Hannah's mother for help. she added, "yes, Hannah likes, you know digging in the yard."

Jen/the boss turned to me "Do you have any suggestions?"

I was supposed to be thinking of appropriate job opportunities that might accommodate these skills.

So i asked myself…

is it true?
Is it necessary?
is it kind?

yes, no, maybe

"Undertaking?" I suggested, "That might work?"

And that’s when I realized they’re either going to laugh or I’m going to get fired.

Wo-hoo I did not get fired! First Hannah, then her mom…then Jen/ the boss laughed.

My Point: the world is always larger than you think.

i realized in a world where I may have been embarrassed if I watched my 18yr. old daughter sit at the head of a conference table (arms folded, hands clasped, in a tube-top) and say "I like digging!" There’s also going to be a kind of unconditional love out there that makes a mom proudly say “yes, she makes mud pies.”

okay, Happy Monday. keep on keepin' on!

amanda
licensed oopsiologist

No comments: