Monday, January 12, 2009

my SunDANCE card

Good Morning,

I never thought I would have to come up with a metaphor for selecting films.

One of the first things I have learned in my Sundance Adventure is that there are entire blogsites devoted to how to get tickets.

There are at least 5 unfriendly ways to get tickets

1. arrive at daybreak to try to get a "Day of the Show Ticket"
2. elbow your way into the waitlist line to get a number
3. etc...

I've learned the least common way to get a ticket is to "Show up at the Box Office and purchase your ticket."

So...

I am happy to say I currently have tickets to 8 shows. Selecting these tickets was like standing on a shifting pier and trying to throw darts. Good news though, as long as you hit something on the board you really can't miss.

I thought you might enjoy seeing what I have right now on my dance card. : )


THE CARTER
Despite my appreciation for the development of Women’s Studies Departments…I am hella crunk happy to cold chill and catch this doc on one of my current favorite rap artists--Lil Wayne.

Listen carefully here for his unique artistic styling of rape

(lyrics)
Its nothin to a big dog
And I'm a Great Dane
I wear eight chains
I mean so much ice
They yell skate Wayne!
She wanna f**k Weezy
But she wanna rape Wayne (uhh huh)
And I’m gonna let her

So…rape. A desirable act one may permit for intense self pleasuring?

hmmm... : ( no i don't like this.

GOOD HAIR
One of the festivals hottest tickets. Comedian Chris Rock goes in search of the colorful history and stories of African American hair culture. (I am willing to stay up all night for some Good Hair and risk late morning bed head!)

WHY WE LAUGH
The evolution of black comedy. Black comedians (Bill Cosby, Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy) takes on black comedy.

BOY INTERRUPTED
A mother who documents the demise of her son and his illness...because it probably wouldn’t be a good documentary film festival if you didn’t leave feeling a little depressed.

KILLING ROOM
A mistake on my part. I thought I’d be watching a disturbing yet fascinating replication of the Stanley Milgram experiment. A famous study in psychology where ordinary people demonstrate the extent to which they would harm another simply because a person in authority tells them to.

This is actually NOT a documentary it's a "psychological thriller/horror"- 4 unwitting volunteers sign up for a psych experiment and get "eliminated" based on...their ability to do math?

CARMO, HIT THE ROAD
An action-packed film with a leading man in a wheelchair. I really want to see the car chase scene where we pause and wait as he transfers himself and the high tech chair lift is activated…one one-thousand, two one-thousand. Nope haven’t hit the road yet…three one-thousand...

PAPER HEART
i was completely sucked in by the premise and the picture of the cute little girl in the film guide wearing the little bridal gown and chunky glasses

WORLDS GREATEST DAD
Robin Williams in a more subdued role- I'm hoping this is a mix of Mr. Holland’s Opus and Good Will Hunting.

EARTH DAYS
...because when on site of a non-profit organization dedicated to furthering free and independent causes you must do something earthy. This film recounts the history of the modern environmental movement.

okay, that's all for now. Happy Monday.

Amanda

*OUTRO- http://homepage.mac.com/amv12/iMovieTheater52.html

No comments: