Monday, October 5, 2009

Random acts of senseless kindness


Good Morning,

I had a joyful moment this weekend and the bone chilling CERTAINTY of a howling Kansas wind that announces our warm summer days are ending...

The moment of joy came when I realized I have a spiritual practice... Without much thought, through setting intentions and developing a good habit I've synced my brain to the phrase WWBTGD? What Would Buddha Teacher Gil Do? : )

So, instead of getting blown....spiraling down the path of cold and darkness out there, I'd like to share the results of a little exercise I've been doing lately (as per Buddha Teacher Gil's request). I thought it might encourage you also to look for those opportunities to put more joy into your world.

For the week of 9/28 - 10/4,

10 Random Acts of Senseless Kindness (there were more, I hope, but these were my most memorable)

1. sang loud at church

2. took a photo of myself outside the local "adult entertainment" store suggesting it as my whereabouts to help spice up the data set of a graduate student I'm helping with her pilot research

3. stopped at the local soccer complex and cheered for little kids at randomly selected soccer games

4. picked up a dropped water bottle for a lady at the gym

5. walked very slowly so people behind me could stop and enjoy a beautiful Fall day

6. paid for brunch

7. when new toothbrushes were purchased, i took the ugly toothbrush

8. stopped for a high school homecoming parade and waved encouragement to kids on the floats

9. listened intently to the salesperson at Hallmark offer promises of a free pumpkin tea light

10. gave football scores via phone to someone who couldn’t check media outlets (TV, web) for 5 days

okay, please remember this is just a sample list and the intent is to add more joy to YOUR day. remember just ask WWBTGD and act random, senseless, and above all kind.

Happy Monday,

Amanda

This is the homecoming parade and howling wind!

No comments: