Monday, October 12, 2009

a top notch judge



Good Morning,

It is a well-known fact that public speaking is often reported as one of peoples’ greatest fears. This is why it might surprise you to find out there's this entire mass of incredibly articulate young people descending upon college campuses eager to give speeches... They are debaters, impromptu and extemporaneous speakers...

I am from the world of the runny mind.

All of which should combine to make for an interesting day next weekend. Next Saturday I will be sitting in as a guest judge at a forensics tournament. If you are like me, (and I assume you are if you are reading this…) "forensics" evokes thoughts of the TV show CSI where hot detectives use hotter DNA evidence to track down the perps!


I’ve learned however that forensics can also mean “The art or study of formal debate; argumentation.” An intercollegiate forensic tournament is where young men and women (typically aspiring lawyers and politicians) get together and compete in a series of “big-braind-ed” events.

For example,

Impromptu Speaking- Contestants are given a topic on the spot. They then have 7 minutes to prepare a coherent, well-informed speech with prompts such as

“A balanced mind and body is a balm to the soul.” (stopwatch click!) okay, discuss...

or

Extemporaneous Speaking- 
Contestants are given three topics in the general area of current events. They then choose one, and have 30 minutes to prepare a 7 minute speech.

“okay, my topic is Afghanistan…”

Each competitor typically prepares to compete in 2 to 5 of their strongest of the ELEVEN events!!!

What qualifies me to judge? Well, basically, I know someone who knows someone…and I am very good at sympathetic looks and coming up with creative compliments. I’m also able to really “step it up a notch” when there’s a sports topic!!! (The NFL, have we gone too far with the new roughing the quarterback rule?)

Of the ELEVEN events (???!!), most likely, I will be lending my ear to an hour of...

Poetry or Prose Interpretation- Here each competitor selects an existing work by some author, commits it to memory and performs it. Top competitors will have combed through tombs of literature in preparation.



So, this morning, in preparation, I opened my poetry book and plopped my finger down to do a little preparin’ too…I'm hoping my selection is not prophetic : )

...from Shel Silverstein “A Light in the Attic”

GOD’S WHEEL

God says to me with kind of a smile,
“Hey how would you like to be God awhile
And steer the world?”
“Okay,” says I, “I’ll give it a try.
Where do I set?
How much do I get?
What time is lunch?
When can I quit?”
“Gimme back that wheel,” says God,
“I don’t think you’re quite ready yet.”

Happy Monday, Have a great week.

Amanda

No comments: