Monday, February 8, 2010

PBS special...Mr. Roger's Neighborhood


Good Morning,

I wanted to start with a powerful and impacting message this morning about health care. Instead, I keep getting stuck on the word "impacting" and the unfortunate images it leaves behind...literally...If you've ever spent any time on a hospital rehab floor...(sorry, you can just think ewww!)

There are big and adult things on my brain right now so i share this...

I woke up Saturday morning at 5:30am.

I had fallen asleep watching "The Corporation" a documentary detailing how decent people still do irreparable harm by taking part in a system that gives the rights of an individual to an organization. "The Corporation" in essence has become an individual that has no morality or accountability...

I woke up Saturday morning still in a dreamy state but gone to the land of make believe.

I woke up Saturday morning watching Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood and this is what I realized…

Mr. Roger’s invites you in, for a late afternoon playdate…but then where does he go?

At the end of the show, he puts his loafers back on and his blazer jacket and then he leaves!!!...promising to be back again tomorrow. What business is left in his day? I guess until this moment I had always assumed he was home for the evening.

When someone comes home and puts on sneakers and a cardigan the day is usually over. Does he have a date? Is he off to Bill Knapp’s…for "the usual" at his favorite booth?

I like to think he's off to pick up Lady Elaine from the museum (in the Land of Make Believe this is where she lives...)

Wouldn’t it be more appropriate for him to put on some slippers and a smoking jacket and toodle-doo on up to bed?

Anyway, this is all i have to share today:



I promise I will be back next week. Until then...have a Happy (and snappy. snap snap) Monday,

Amanda
PBS programing corrdinator

No comments: