Monday, February 1, 2010

what to watch for at the Olympics


Good Morning,

There was a moment this weekend that made my heart feel as fat as a balloon...

Amidst the stack of unwanted offerings...pizza coupons, bills, electronic supply catalogs...came a single letter. Some may remember, I have written at length about my friend "Melissa in the nursing home..." I am happy to report that she is living with a close relative in Georgia now. Her words dictated to a volunteer scribe reassured me she is much happier in her new place and even snuggled at night with "Miss Kitty," a 13 year old cat she describes as "old and quite large."

I'm not sure why I feel compelled to share this with a larger audience, I think my point this morning is that I am humbled by the voice that can say "a volunteer is reading me 'Chicken Soup for the Christian Woman's Soul' I'm enjoying it..." and mean it. I wish it was her voice and humor that I could share...

Anyway, in the love and spirit of my dear friend this morning I'd just like to share some simple thoughts i know would make her laugh.



What I will be watching for at the Olympic Winter Games...

1. nude colored skates- this very tricky ruse to get us to believe there are simply blades that have grown out of the ballerina on ice's feet!

2. cow bell shaking- During all Alpine skiing events, my favorite activity is the urging on of fellow countryman with the clankering of the cow bell!

note* I will be holding my breath as the "Rules for Spectators" clearly prohibit: Devices capable of causing a disturbance such as air horns, trumpets, lasers, thundersticks and noisemaking that might disrupt the session or be disturbing to other spectators. I did not read cow bell!


3. The bobsled push pole. After the mad sprint at break-neck speeds, the real excitement is can they get those little push poles down to shave off those thousandths of a second...and irritated looks from the pilot in the locker room.

4. The mascots. When the Olympic flame finally ignites in Vancouver we will be greeted with Miga- a mythical sea bear (part orca whale and part Kermode bear) and Quatchi- a sasquatch, who wears boots and ear muffs.

...inclusion maaay have been taken too far...

5. Notably missing from this year's schedule of events- scouching (skiing without leaving your couch). I imagine after two weeks transfixed on my TV with frustrated athletic hopes...it could lead to this...

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/video?id=7236853

6. Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong. "The Snow Leopard!" He is the first person from Ghana to compete in the Winter Olympics. I will be watching for him in the Alpine skiing events...and shaking my cow bell!

7. ugg boots

8. Pink (the pop rock entertainer). If she can sing and swing like she did above the stage at the Grammy's...last night...she can definitely land a 10!!!! in the aerial ski competition.

9. Random and unruly conduct from the crowd (see photo) of spectators! This will mount my disabled wall climbing protest to women's ski jumping not making it into the Vancouver Games.

10. The entire Speed Skating Team from the Netherlands. Gods and Goddesses-like looking people in head to toe Spandex! : ) wow! O Canada!

Alright, Happy Monday all,

Amanda

No comments: