Monday, August 9, 2010

creative solutions to a bagging problem?


Good Morning,

It always surprises me when my competitive instincts kick in...

at the grocery store the other day it happened again. as the cashier began scanning the purchases i began to try my hand at bagging...bread and perishables on top...keep eggs separate from the cans...

i experienced a simple fluidity of movement, a narrowing focus of direction and purpose to my effort that starkly contrasts my day to day...

with a heart inclined toward simplicity of mind i thought "hey i can do this!" i'd already filled out the part-time job application in my brain and acquiesced to the uniform--black pants and a white collar golf shirt.

and then the bubble burst as I realized my other duty. "Aren’t they (the baggers) responsible for bringing in all the carts?"

oops. yes this little detail of the job description i miiiight have overlooked.

Sooo...In the spirit of equal employment opportunity (EEO) this morning i've tried to answer the question

How could I get the carts in or perhaps perform an equal service?

With my personal trainer certification, I could organize and assist the work force with cart pushing training. I could organize some drills.

With my ear for rhythm, pace and sense of timing...i could sit in the cart train as it is pushed and serve as an encouraging coxswain.

With a Segway, i could go out into the parking lot and put little red flags on the carts that have blown away or could wrestle in a scraggler.

i'm willing to challenge people to use fewer carts…instead of asking "paper or plastic?" i will ask "cart or no cart?" suggesting they could go cartless out to the car

to reduce cart usage and thus eliminate this job duty description altogether, i will hold special events such as...a meet and greet with the KU Jayhawks o-line. "Push for the cure!" kids can get autographs and for every cart they push in Hy-Vee will donate a nickel to charity.

if positioned just so i can harness wind-power to do my job for me. the wind can just blow the train of carts in.

i could push the carts in using a Powerchair wheelchair with plow attachment

and last two other services i could provide.

i would be willing to head up a "paddy wagon" roundup crew to go into urban areas and sweep the streets for abused and abandon carts. i will bring them home and rehab them.

i would also be willing to organize a precision cart drill team to travel and perform in parades. in this way, help build awareness of aisle safety maneuvers and in-store etiquette.

okay, just a quick one today. sorry so scattered. stay cool!

happy monday,

amanda

No comments: