Saturday, October 16, 2010

fashion statement...



Good Morning,

I have a problem. I have the unique opportunity to get involved with a group of women who are developing an on-line community for women with disabilities. I’m not sure my role yet with mobilewomen.org but I am on-board! As I’ve been perusing the site, I’ve noticed something others might have missed…but you as my friends, family, and loyal readers would know. I am not very “girly.”

I'm hoping the editors let me bring my own sense of quirky style and humor to disability, beauty, and fashion…this morning I thought I'd take a stab at it.

My first piece of advice. Scuff your shoes up a bit.

One of the most depressing realizations in my recovery occurred when I looked around the rehabilitation hospital’s therapy gym. Thanks to the department stores generous buy and return policy, I had just been fitted with a new pair of sporty looking tennis shoes…

As I looked around at the other patients lying on the mats, it occurred to me. We are not bonded by age, ethnicity, injury, will to succeed…but by the simple fact that we all have white shoes. I mean really white, glow in the dark teeth bleaching white.

Just because you’re not going around tromping through puddles or walking the streets does not mean you want your tennis shoes to yellow with age. Ask a good friend whose hygiene you trust to go for a walk in them a couple times or if you’d rather give them to your service dog and ask her to bury them and bring them back.

After this, find a good hoodie- The hoodie wear for the most part gets overplayed but it is a wardrobe essential.

Number three? Get a hat.

Chances are good that someone else is doing your hair. There is no guarantee that they are having a good day or that they have taken all of their medication. I had a certain routine down that involved a little bit of mousse, a little bit of blow drying…that was pretty much it. After my accident, I sat and watched as various care-givers played beauty shop nervously on my head. Making their task more difficult, I had a halo vest they had to work around. The result was always some approximation of what I would have done but…some sort of follicular sensory memory on the scalp would tell me this is just not right! That layer belongs over here!

A good hat allows you to correct these mistakes. It leaves only an inch or two sticking out to create your stylish look and once removed throws you into the mix with everyone else experiencing fun and creative hat hair.

Number 4. Keep the food dribble off the hoodie. Simply put keep your clothes clean and practice good hygiene.

Five?

Designer socks. It may be that your foot is misshapen and will not fit into a shoe and yet you know about the backlash against those “cripples” who just wear socks. This issue has been debated recently on the Ouch Talk Show. Click here to find more on the shoe vs. no shoes debate. http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/podcast/ouch_talk_show_56_-_early_october_2010.shtml

In this instance, where you really must go shoeless, I’d recommend something in between. You know like this...a sock that looks like a shoe : )



No really, if there is one piece of advice I could give to any woman in any fashion situation it’s this...

Number six- Do not show up in just your bikini for adaptive swim class.

I once watched as a young woman showed up at the check-in desk in just her bikini in her power chair…She wore goggles, flipper fins, a two-piece and an attitude that said I’M HERE!

The front desk worker, teased and snickered at her co-worker. “Uh John your 10 o’clock appointment is here.” The two shared looks and giggles all the while I stood by helplessly feeling like “disability cop.” I wanted to throw myself around her like a blanket. Equally, I wanted to punch the big kid/teen bullies in the nose for their laughing.

So, in selecting your swim suit here’s what I’d recommend: don’t let the suit be what attracts attention to you but rather the attitude and life you give to it. If you want to present confident, secure wear a simple cover up.

Number 7- This is not a good look. photo of self in high boots.



Number 8- Take a firm stance on kitty apparel (...and Christmas sweaters). I was reminded last week of the "ageless" way strangers approach someone walking with a cane or in a wheelchair. As I made my way to the checkout counter at Quik Trip (the gas station) with my fountain drink, a woman with arms full of "booty" stopped me repeatedly with a well-practiced phrase "Can I help you sweetie?" and "Let me get that for you baby doll." More confused than grateful I let her walk me to the counter... then my car. Clearly I thought this woman thinks I'm twelve. I nodded and thanked her for her heroic efforts as finally the basis of her good deed was revealed, "I have a son like you" she said. She then continued to mother me asking where I lived and if I had someone waiting at home to help me carry in my purchases...

okay, my point? all I can think about now is this woman's poor son who she might dress up like a baby doll. dressing him in a way that reflects her cares and interests in the world. Before this happens in your world...



I think it's wise to explore your personal style and set boundaries and limits to what you'd like to wear.

For Number 9- I borrow from Wendy Crawford, founding and managing editor of mobilewomen.org who also happens to be an experienced fashion model. Number 9!!!!... Don’t accessorize your chair with stuffed animals, fuzzy dice or balloons. Instead, redirect the focus and accessorize you! By adding one great piece like a colorful scarf, interesting earrings or necklace (there are so many beautiful yet affordable pieces right now), you can completely transform a basic outfit without spending much.

what i think this means is: Make the statement don’t be the statement or curiosity.

And lastly, Number 10-Don't drop the ball at the gym. I'm not a public nude person but am always amazed by the number who are. At the gym, there's always a nude conversationalist in the locker room targeting disabled people. I've found the older nude woman walking around in the locker room...fresh out of the showers to be very friendly but extremely difficult to talk to...model for her and everyone good fitness attire. Try wearing a t-shirt and fingertip length shorts, a simple white towel wrap will make a fine dress and smart fashion statement after you hit the showers too.

Alright. Hope this helps.

Happy Monday,

Amanda

No comments: