Saturday, October 9, 2010

Stevie Wonder's song for literacy

Good Morning,

Stevie Wonder.

I love this man.



knowing you can always count on Stevie…for sure that’s what friends are for : )

Recently, he has been caught employing a unique strong arm tactic.

In lobbying the United Nations for better copyright rules for the blind, he vowed "change your ways Intellectual Committee or I am going to write a mean song on you!"

I love Stevie Wonder but I worry about his qualifications in this area “My Cherie Amour” and “I Just Called to Say I Love You” are not going to do it.

I don’t think Stevie realizes he is too nice…

“Overjoyed?”

Over time, I've been building my castle of love
Just for two, though you never knew you were my reason
I've gone much too far for you now to say
That I've got to throw my castle away

Or…

“Knocks Me Off My Feet?”

I don't want to bore you with my trouble
But there's something 'bout your love
that makes me weak and knocks me off my feet.

I’m afraid Stevie’s words might not pack the necessary political punch…

According to the World Health Organization, over 300 million people worldwide have significant visual impairments or blindness. With only 5% of printed material available in a readable form for the blind or visually impaired (e.g. Braille, audiobooks) that’s A LOT of people “living in darkness…” (those are Stevie’s words not mine).

In Stevie’s speech before the UN’s 184 member World Intellectual Property Organization he threatened that he’d return in one year and perform a song “about what you didn’t do!” should they not heed his call to ease up global copyright laws.

So, by the powers invested in me by the MMN I thought maybe I could help Stevie out (I mean that’s what friends are for right?)

What Stevie needs I decided was to sit down with a more militant voice. Someone not afraid to stick the digit to the establishment…You know, what would happen if Stevie met with arrogant rap artist Kanye West? I got a 1st hand glimpse of lyric sheets

“Runaway” (as performed at the MTV video music awards)

http://idolator.com/5626322/kanye-west-runaway

(Stevie's edits are in bold)

And I always find, yeah, I always find somethin’ wrong

You/we’ve been puttin’ up wit’ my/this sh*t just way too long

I’m so gifted at findin’ what I don’t like the most

So I think it’s time for us to have a toast

Let’s have a toast for the windbags
Let’s have a toast for the a-holes,

Let’s have a toast for the dumbags Every one of them that I know

Let’s have a toast to the 
turkey boss That’ll never take work off

Baby, you got a plan Run away fast as they can…from responsibility.

No seriously, while others laugh I give him credit for having the guts to perhaps work the lyrics

“Pro-visually impaired global copyright laws” into a song.

If there is anyone who can impact the course and direction of visually impaired literacy through song, Stevie can. Look at what he did in the 80's. In reaction to apartheid, he single-handedly penned, "It's Wrong" and turned South African and world sentiments on its ear. Okay maaaaybe not. I've never heard this song but it is kind of catchy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqVGyLtqQCk. and i'm sure impactful at the time.

What I'm trying to say is let's not give the guy too much razzing (unless of course the song is blatantly awful and promotes participant clapping, group hugs and swaying). Let's give it a chance and get behind the song...whatever it may be. I mean come on anyone who can dedicate "I Just Called to Say I Love You" to Nelson Mandela in prison and have it sound cool deserves our support.

Now that's cool!

Keep shining knowing you can always count on me. Happy Monday,

Amanda
Messenger for Peace : )

No comments: