Monday, October 4, 2010

hidden thoughts of car purchasing


(drivin's for the birds...)

Good Morning,

My head has been floating in a strange otherworldly bubble the past couple days. my car died...

my motor expired unexpectedly last week on the highway. thankfully i know very little about what happens underneath the hood of a car because it wasn't pretty...little gray puffs of smoke and by the time i had her pulled over i felt her give way beneath my white knuckle grasp

i loved the Protege 5 and will admit I cried.

so i needed a new vehicle before i O.D. on the smell of the rental car's Febreeze!!! (yuck...)

This lead me to those awkward and uncomfortable conversations this weekend with overly slick men of the USED car lot.

As i sat in the cubicle awaiting Ed to do business, i realized I had penned down my research on my negotiating sheets (the back sides of my day-by-day kitty calendar). it's a nice touch to see photos of cats saying "Do I hear the can opener?" and "Yuck! It's the wrong brand!"

while my side read

Kelley Blue Book Prices
Consumer Reports Review...gas mileage, safety records, engine
Car Fax notes- recalls, reliability

trade in values...

my mind was filled with other thoughts or questions i really wanted answers to. i've pared it down to seven you might use on your next car buying trip.

1. Given the unexpected and sudden nature of my last car's demise, I appreciate all this talk about service and Warranty but should this outlay of costs present itself again in short order...

Can I sleep in it overnight to see how it feels?

2. The car I'm interested in the Honda Fit is advertised as economical and roomy. Can we see how many balloons we can fit in it?

3. Would I like to take a test drive? Not really but i'd like to hide stuff in it and see how long it takes me to find it. That's the reeeal test.

4. What am I really looking for in a car?
Good cup holders and singing acoustics.

5. she died just after i'd just filled her up with a full tank of gas...just seems somewhere in there i should be able to recoup that cost...

6. Can i have some assurance the previous owner did not have passengers that put their sweaty feet on the dashboard?

7. Can i bring my cat over to see if she likes the ride and if it has belts to fit her Pet Taxi?

okay, that's all i have for this morning. i'm off to seal the deal! safe driving and

Happy Monday to all,

Amanda

p.s. 2008 Honda Fit Sport i'll post a picture : ) it's red!

1 comment:

Yahzi said...

number 3 made me laugh. Its so true :)

Nothing beats good cup holders and signing acoustics.

Honda fit is a good car. Enjoy it :)