Monday, November 29, 2010

what not to bring to church game night


Good Morning,

Getting settled in a new place is never easy...or at least that's what "they" keep telling me (i.e. whoever "they" may be). I guess this is why almost a year after moving here to Kansas this is how I found myself last Friday sitting at my first Church game night.

As the 35mph winds with gusts up to 45mph!!! set in, I decided to go against my stroooong desires to avoid the invitation in the hopeful spirit of meeting good people.

In this respect, the evening was a success. There were many nice couples there...and a nice warm place to sit. Feeling a little lost, there was one more person circling the church game table that I did not invite...my competitive 16 year old that was injured in a car accident. She is very competitive and believes in the Michael Jordan school of gaming and competition...anytime, anywhere I will take you down! GAME ON!!!

Although, I understand that all are welcome...this is noooot who you want to bring to the church game table. For example, when the player to my right wanted to delay her turn by fawning over "The Arnold's" pickled cashews...it's not right to want to reach out and slap her bowl away or yell "Come on Mrs. Mauch! game on!" or chant "BOOOOR-ING!!!"

Anyway, what I'm trying to say or encourage is for anyone like me who feels socially awkward to get out there and do it!

I think being social is the hardest easiest thing to do...

So, quickly checking my invitation...

For my first bit of advice, here are 5 games NOT to Bring to Church Game Night

(*note- the host's invitation may encourage you to bring ANY game you'd like. Do NOT listen!).

1. Battleship- Although still one of America's most popular games. A little isolating to have only 2 players. The object is also very anti-Jesus. If you must, try "LOVE THY NEIGHBOR!" instead of "YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!"

2. RISK!- Leave the dust on this old classic. Not a good idea to show up announcing your desires for war and world domination.

3. Operation






Zap it!!! Never a good idea to surround yourself with a group of strangers, tiny forceps and a nude character.

4. Twister or strip twister- Remember you will probably be with adults who probably have not been drinking. There will probably also be a wheelchair user or two...who does not want to be the designated all-time spinner.

5. Trivial Pursuit Bible edition- Simply stay away from whoever has brought this game. This is not a time to display for everyone how much you do not know about your Bible. Nor do you want them to see the surprised look on your face when someone says "Bible study..."

Alrightee, hope this helps.

Happy Monday,

Amanda

No comments: