Monday, March 28, 2011

responding to disaster...

Good Morning,


"The biggest mystery about man is that he sees death around him everyday and yet doesn’t believe it will happen to him." (Buddhist scholar)

Perhaps this is why I like Buddhism so much. I can read this statement and say, well at least I don't have this problem...I am able to worry about it (death) everyday in myself and in others!

I've been listening to dharma talks. When disasters such as the earthquake/tsunami in Japan occur we (the collective "we") are left with the painful question "what can we do?"

If you know me well enough by now, I ask WWBTGD? (What Would Buddha Teacher Gil Do?)

Buddha Teacher Gil says that it is enough to "make the effort." That is, to make the effort to respond (e.g., a financial donation to the Red Cross or relief agency) even if it’s small.

In this way, I wanted to share a relief effort I am supporting. My friend and Monday Morning News "language expert" contributor Jen Chen's cousin is the brain behind this effort (and I guarantee you it is BIG)...

I just checked, according to reports, over 250,000 households are still without power. The ReadySet battery will help...If you are still looking for a place to donate; I encourage you to check this out.

http://fenixintl.com/donate

(I love the idea of a battery that you can charge via pedaling a bike!)


If donating does not feel right to you, another thing we can do is allow ourselves to become more committed to our day-to-day efforts. For example, if you are a teacher take some class time to talk to students about what they've seen on TV, check-in on your elderly neighbor, vote for clean energy bills...get your kitty a new ID tag with proper locating information.

The third important idea in the WWBTGD philosophy is to remember to not respond, to not be changed by the difficult circumstances in Japan is to do a kind of violence to ourselves. The nature of the human heart is to respond...

If these suggestions seem too simplistic, remember they are given in the spirit of challenge not comfort. The important questions are perhaps most difficult to grapple with...what can we honestly give? Where does giving truly come freely to you and sustain those around you with joy?

In this light I'd like to offer one last effort.

I have family both by birth and by choosing living in California. Several of whom have seemed to have parked it atop the San Andrea fault... : ( Curious, this morning I went onto the FEMA website...

I've compiled a quick cheat sheet study guide for what to do before, during, and after an earthquake the SGFWTDBDAAAE (another easy to remember acronym)...


Study Guide for What to Do Before During and After an Earthquake

BEFORE

--Prepare an emergency kit. Include in it: bottled water, a fire extinguisher, flashlights (AND BATTERIES), small First Aid supplies, non-perishable food items, blankets, medications and diapers (if it’s the big one someone is going to soil themselves).

DURING

--Drop, cover and HOLD ON!!!!!!!! Get under a sturdy desk, crouch against an inside wall and HOLD ON to something sturdy.

--If in bed, STAY in bed and put a pillow over your head. (This one confuses me...)

The danger during an earthquake seems to be not falling into the earth (i.e., large cracks opening up) but rather getting squashed...

--Do NOT run outside! If you are outside STAY OUTSIDE away from trees, electric wires, and especially the weird neighbors with the gargoyles. Most people are injured when entering or leaving a building and something heavy falls on them…like a large gargoyle?

AFTERWARDS

--If you smell gas turn the gas off. If you see crackling wires, turn the main electricity in the home off.

--IF TRAPPED do not yell? Again, this one is confusing to me, but I guess the idea is that yelling causes deep inhales thus dust into your lungs. (I’m covering my mouth with my shirt and yelling my fool head off). FEMA recommends blowing a whistle or tapping on metal pipes.

(To address this concern I’ve decided I will take the action of sending each of my friends/loved ones a whistle and carry along, pocket dust masks).

SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

--What to do with the little ones!? The same rule applies. Duck, Cover and Cling! Here I believe the clinging will occur to you the adult/guardian so be prepared to offer these words. “It’s okay, Mommy and Mommy are here for you and we’re going to be doing everything we can to keep you safe...Puff the kitty is an excellent hider. She’s gone to find a safe place...Yes, we can pray for her...No we can not go take her some of your goldfish."

--If the other parent is away or at work during this time tell the child that they know we’re together here and will come home as soon as heavenly possible.

okay and lastly, please use the SGFWTDBDAAAE only AFTER checking out FEMA's website http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/earthquakes.shtm.

Wishing you Peace and Comfort. Happy Monday,

Amanda

No comments: