Monday, April 4, 2011

looking for heroic moments


Good Morning,

I've got heroic moments on my mind this morning. To me a "heroic moment" can be defined as when the ordinary oversteps its bounds to become extraordinary.

Sometimes it is incredibly clear where this line gets drawn e.g., the 9/11 passengers who tried to overtake the terrorists and brought down their own plane. Other times it's a little suspect...the boy finishing last in every event at the father-son picnic saying "my dad's my hero!"

...recently I watched a documentary film in which a young man in high school stood at a wedding reception watching his father's Elvis impersonator act. He later confessed "my dad's my hero."

Where does this line get drawn? The young man with the Elvis dad highlights for me that a "heroic moment" ...depends more on the eyes of the observer.

In this way, I'd like to offer

Satchel Paige...the author of one of my favorite heroic moments...

(*I've recently been to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum)

Leroy "Satchel" Paige was an ace pitcher for the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro Leagues.

Before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier and helped integrate “Major League Baseball” cities across the Northeast, Midwest, and South outfitted their own teams of the best African American ballplayers. To keep the Negro League afloat teams such as the Monarchs would barnstorm across the country playing challenge games against local white talent.

It was in one of these games that Stachel’s heroism stood out.

Bases loaded a white player on the opposing side told Satchel "he wan’t no pitcher. he’s just a no good darky!”

Defiant, Satchel stopped the game and called all the outfielders and the infielders to the mound.

He said, “I don’t need ya. cept the catcher."

According to one of Satchel's teammates, a man who was on the field that day, all his fielders, except the catcher of course, then retired to the dugout.

...To me, heaving a basketball 60ft. down court to sink a winning basket is "very cool" it's "amazing" "AWESOME!!!" It's not however the heroic moment I'd pick. I'd rather go with a man or woman whose deed took on the dark history of society, that stuck a finger to the hate and injustices of segregation!

It took NINE PITCHES! Three pitches to the first batter, three pitches to the next, and three pitches to strike out the side...

for the full account you can go to

http://www.coe.ksu.edu/nlbemuseum/reslib/clips/milespaigevid.html

awesome!

So tonight as "One Shining Moment" plays for the NCAA champion and as MLB baseball continues to fire up its season, I'd like to raise a muscle in salute to Satchel who gave us all a moment to cheer for and be inspired by...okay and he also gave us these...

Satchel's Rules For Livin'

"Avoid fried meats which angry up the blood."
"If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts."
"Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move."
"Go very light on the vices, such as carrying on in society—the social ramble ain't restful."
"Avoid running at all times."
"And don't look back—something might be gaining on you

Happy Monday,

Amanda...jangling around gently as I move : )

No comments: