Monday, August 29, 2011

a zip-line adventure report



Good Morning,

I went zip-lining at Camp Prairie Schooner this weekend!

I can't quite decide where this falls on the "Adventure Scale." After the completion of my run, as I hiked to the head of the treacherous trail and made my way into the clearing I overheard the conversation between some young Girl Scouts.

My guide a 7th grader with two years zipping experience walked ahead. An earnest and impassioned leader she still wore her white safety helmet and zipping harness. In addition to my trail sherpa, she had self-assigned two additional duties--leading the littlest girls on a hike to the restroom and greeting all new adult arrivals in the gravel parking lot.

It was dark and I was tired but I distinctly heard the car pull up and an adult voice say "Did Amanda do the zip-line?"

...to which my guide replied, "uh-huh. she went once and Merriam (the 5 year-old birthday girl) went twice!!!"

at this point the conversation went to pot as a 6 year-old wearing flashing flip flops told everyone that my ride had been a "ladder ride."

A "ladder ride" is a scaled down version of the adult ride for those not quite ready for X-treme thrills and excitement!!! It is also an alternative for those unable to climb up a free hanging rope ladder to the tree-top launch platform.

I, with accomplished Adventure resume (...see death defying water ski crashing and fearless open water kayaking) could not climb the dang rope ladder up to the platform...before dark...or losing bored and wandering children in the woods.

Instead, I clipped in at the bottom of the zip-line run after climbing a few rungs on a sturdy workman's ladder.

Here is now where the official rules and definition of zip-lining must come out.

"A zip-line consists of a pulley suspended on a cable mounted on an incline. It is designed to enable a user propelled by gravity to travel from top to bottom of the incline cable."

Please note there is nothing in here stating a zip-liner must start at the TOP of the line. My "ladder ride" Miss sparkle flip flops was technically what happened next.

A very nice sinewy young course instructor attached a long thin "retrieval rope" to my harness and walked me like a tug-a-war captain toward the launch platform.

"Okay" he said, "say stop when you feel high enough!"

I am at Camp Prairie Schooner… I thought. This babies going to the T-O-P!!!!!

Unfortunately, the nice young man's legs gave way about 5ft. from the highest point. Thus, I dangled in the air for a moment like a Muppet and then Ziiiiip the ride began...

I went fast enough to elicit a full SMILE but not quite fast enough for a whoop! or hoooot!!!

The ride ended uneventfully as I stopped several feet from the approaching tree and slowly bobbed toward the rescue ladder.

Would I zip-line again? Most definitely. I am even hoping to work my way toward my Athlete merit badge as a GS Cadette!!!

So far it's looking doubtful. You must march double time and maintain good posture sitting and standing...

Happy Monday everyone, and Adventure on!

Amanda

p.s. would anyone be interested in buying some cookies? : ) I got Thin Mints...Samoas...

No comments: