Saturday, September 15, 2007

common mistakes in dancing


Good Morning,

After reviewing the tape...I've noted someone's pretty jazzed about her dancin' (word up! : ). So, I've decided to let this energy run its course. It is very rare that I find recreational opportunities that I enjoy this much. Today i thought I'd offer my thoughts on what makes for good dancing.

To be a good dancer I think you/we first need to be able to recognize some of the common mistakes in dancing.

1. Overdoing it.

Think Aunt "whoever" doin the "frug" (i.e. froog) or your 10 yr. old cousin doin the "Running Man."

...that's having too much energy.

2. Underdoing it.

Simply put. The white man's overbite... (insert demonstration)

3. No originality.

It’s okay to know you have one solid move. Even advised to go to it when you’ve lost the beat. But it is the mark of the inexperienced dancer if it shows up over and over...You’ll know when you’re doin it because you’re givin it that sexy look you do into the mirror…

4. Too much originality.

Your sexy move. You’re thinkin’ "I’m gonna save this baby with my raw sex appeal!"…STOP. It is THE move that gives us that raw sex appeal OR it is the one that will earn you merciless teasing from friends and family.

5. Going for it too soon.

...trying to coin a signature move. A signature move is like the 80’s moon walk...Dad, remember before you go for the crotch grab and sideways leg kick…it took MJ many months of work with a choreographer...it's okay just to navigate the floor and keep the beat.

This last one's for the wedding folks. While doing my research this morning, I checked in on a Wedding Planning website. I discovered the Best Man/Best Person has 6 pre-wedding duties to the Maid of Honor's 14. Hmmmm...in the effort to maintain my title and help balance this out...I've appointed myself "Head of boogie down productions" once the formal dancing stops at my brother's wedding.

6. Having Bad Chi.

All dancing partnered or not is social dancing so avoid overlooking dance floor feng shui. Know you have bad dance floor energy when you find yourself dancing alone in a corner or placed next to a speaker (I’ll put ya there...i will).

Okay, I know this is probably a little too much information for one day. You have places to go...choreographers to see so I will just end with a helpful hint for YOUR diligent hip-hop practice.

Helpful hint:
If you lose the beat, don’t try to catch it. It will come back to you.

Oh yes, AND I almost forgot. drum roll please. here's the "wham bam finish" with some energy! not a ton but it's/i'm getting better. i hope.


http://homepage.mac.com/amv12/iMovieTheater14.html
(for Windows)

http://web.mac.com/amv12/iWeb/Site/jerryskids.html


Happy Monday!

Amanda/A-Lo

No comments: