Monday, November 8, 2010

new meetings...


Good Morning,

I've been wearing so many name tags lately I had to check myself at a house party this weekend to make sure my shirt was not already announcing Hello My Name is…Amanda : ) when meeting people.

Two weekends ago I had "Muffins with the Minister" at a new church...

Over muffins (and grapes I might add...)

I learned things like the difference between “orthodoxy” and “orthopraxy,” how new religion spread across the American frontier, and why perhaps every Wednesday afternoon before CCD class we had orange drink and cheese puffs (...snacks that turned everything orange and melted on tongue contact)--the Catholic church was not built on democracy nor does it rely on shared governance when determining matters inside the church body (my vote woulda been for a cookie and milk!).

Perhaps this is why I never really asked further after the “swishy-legged” nun. I’ve told the story before but as a refresher it basically goes like this…

I was 15 paralyzed from the neck down in a darkened ICU room when an elderly nun walked in swish-swish-swish. I could hear her panty hose as she waddled up beside me and smiled down with a kind grandmotherly face. I cried "why did this happen?" I apologized for whatever sins I might have done…sometimes I am mean to my brother…sometimes I like to act like a big shot…I mean sometimes I showoff in sports…i forged my parents signature on my take home practice sheet for my trumpet...

I cried "I'm sorry! I'm a good kid I swear!"

Feeling incredibly abandon I asked, "Does God care that this happened to me?"

The Nun's response was

Yes God cared. He was in fact there. She told me to imagine it as if God was sitting atop a very tall building and he yelled down "I care for you Amanda" but he was too far away at my accident so I couldn’t hear him...

His voice just didn’t carry that far.

Sister Swishy Legs smiled down lovingly, patted me on the shoulder and left. She returned later to offer me Communion which I could not take because I wasn’t eating at the time…I know in these words you cannot hear me so I will admit there was/is frustration in my voice.

So...

Now almost 19 years later, I thought I’d give the "Muffin Minister" Pastor Holly a shot. I am meeting with her tomorrow to discuss and ask questions.

After five good years exploring and studying Buddhism, I find myself an open and willing audience. I do not expect miracles but I would like to welcome Christianity? God? Jesus?into my life. I'm sitting down to talk with someone (i.e. a religious woman) tomorrow I admire and respect.

I guess my point is...I was raised Catholic and do not feel it is wise or virtuous to runaway from the basic roots of one’s understanding or connections to love and faith. I have a private understanding that will grow and because I think it may help others in their journeys to come to terms with difficult things I will also share some of the insights, understanding, observations and conclusions I come to…

in time.

okay, Happy Monday,

Amanda

No comments: